Monday, January 31, 2011

'The King's Speech' & Discovering a Secret of London

Dear Reader,

This morning I found myself on a boat near Warwick Avenue. I was meeting the film maker of the documentary I am promoting and she lives on a canal boat in 'Little Venice'. Nestled among little gardens and bobbing gently on the water it was the most serene place I have seen in London so far.

I arrived about 10.30 with croissants as I had promised! We ate them over coffee and a chat about the film and enjoyed the passing of the morning. It was so lovely to be on a boat with all the ducks and geese gently cruising past. I felt very envious that she was able to live there.

Around midday I left the calm of the boat and headed into town. Mum and I are were having lunch after which I had planned to meet B.

B and I met in Notting Hill and he bought our tickets to see 'The King's Speech'. There are many cinemas there but we chose 'The Coronet' as it offers half price tickets for students on Mondays (B is studying Law). Walking in to the screen we were both astounded: the cinema used to be a theatre. We had a choice between sitting in the Royal Circle or the Stalls and it was almost empty! I could neither believe that we were about to watch a film in an old theatre nor the fact that there was so much choice and space! I feel that I have discovered one of London's secrets there.

'The King's Speech' was just as intriguing, sustaining and fulfilling as I expected. Compated to 'Black Swan' it is much less demanding of its audience yet also very pleasing. The film tells a simple story about how King George VI neither expected nor desired to become King and was in the unusual position of succeeding his brother whilst he was still alive. However, the film also highlights the advent of the radio and the King's requirement to make speeches that would be broadcasted to his people. Suffering from a speech impediment, King George VI required help in this respect and this is where the film centres its plot. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush bounce off each other in what becomes the King's recovery and ability to form words without stuttering. Yet this does not occur without turmoil. His struggles provide an insight into the political turbulence of the period as well as form a firm basis for the relationship between the speech therapist and the King. Ultimately, the King is triumphant, not only in mastering his speech but in appreciating the value of true friendship and in realising his role for his country.

After the film B and I came home and I cooked a delcious sauce with bacon, chilli, garlic, courgette and cherry tomatoes to accompany some fresh pasta. We popped open a bottle of Prosecco too which, I must say, rounded off the day just perfectly.................................

No comments:

Post a Comment