Friday, January 14, 2011

Sexual Attraction & Fairy Cakes

 Today I walked in to Gilly Hicks. Gilly Hicks is the latest addition to the Abercrombie empire. Gilly Hicks is using sexual attraction as a sales weapon.

Now, this point may not seem consequential nor of particular note considering that sex is frequently used as a sales technique. If you need an example look at the Virgin Atlantic advert (which I have to say is pretty damn brilliant). But whereas most adverts use sex in a suggestive way, Gilly Hicks overtly uses sex to the point of exploitation.

Today I walked in to the Westfield branch of the shop to see what it was like. At the door stood a semi naked male model. His sole role was to wait outside the shop, shirtless.

Inside I was shocked. All the staff were young females, tiny (I would guess a UK size 4), and all but one were wearing knickers. Knickers. Tiny little knickers. It was their uniform.

I mentioned to one of the girls my horror that they all had to wear knickers. "Oh," she shrugged, "They're pajama bottoms." These were the smallest pajama bottoms I have ever seen. I suppose at least she felt comfortable wearing them. I just can't help but think that it is ethically wrong to require young girls to wear the 'pajama bottoms' as uniform, especially as there are many other items in Gilly Hicks which would still flatter the girls but ensure their decency. Am I just a prude or do you agree with me?

On a lighter note, yesterday I made the most delicious little fairy cakes. I feel so proud of them that I have been desperate to write about them on here! I think the reason that they rose so perfectly and were so light and fluffy was because I warmed the butter slightly before creaming it with the sugar. By the time I had beaten in the egg the mixture was a smooth yellow paste just ready for the flour and a touch of milk. When I took them out of the oven they had risen to beautiful golden domes, round yet tall and abundantly scrumptious. I have almost eaten them all already........

No comments:

Post a Comment