Sunday, January 16, 2011

Singing for a Soul Mate

Near where I live a Robin lives too. He has a large chest, ripely red, puffed and proud. I often see him perched on my door step. Every night he sings out loud.

At first the song confused me. It seems strange for a bird to be singing at night rather than the morning. "Maybe the street lights have confused him," my boyfriend mused. I do wonder.........

It began a few nights ago. It was about 11.30pm and we were thinking about going to bed. Just as we turned our lights out we heard it: the loudest song bird in existence. I couldn't believe the sound was real! But lo and behold a bird was singing loud and proud.

The next night the bird sang again. I had almost thought it was a black bird, so pretty is the song, but then I realised that it is just one bird singing. Blackbirds always sing together in competition.

Yesterday as I arrived home I saw the Robin on our neighbour's flowerpot. Then I knew. He hopped and flitted, unsure of me, and then settled in the next front garden on another pot. Looking at his huge round chest it dawned on me: this bird wants a mate.

So every night he sings. He sings his soulful little heart out, calling in hope for a female. I can even hear him now. I do think though that he might have more luck in the morning when he won't be disturbing any beauty sleep............

No comments:

Post a Comment