Sunday, January 23, 2011

Seeing 'Black Swan' and Dreaming About the Ballet

Dear Reader,

Last night I saw 'Black Swan'. It was enthralling, dark and dramatic and I loved it.

'Black Swan' follows the life of Nina, a naive ballet dancer ensnared by her domineering mother. Nina wins the part of the Swan Queen, possibly the most prestigious role a ballet dancer can aspire to, and as such is subject to the pressure and competition that the role demands. Nina can dance the part of the white swan beautifully but struggles to portray the black swan, the darker alter ego that seduces the prince during the ballet, ensuring that the white swan has lost her hope of freedom.

The film reflects this intrinsic dichotomy between beauty and perfection, sexuality and desire, white and black. Her self-doubts reflected in those around her, Nina is convinced that her under study is attempting to usurp her and take the Swan Queen role for herself. She is wary of her mother's insistence on control and dominance in Nina's own life. Her vulnerability is replaced by her sexual awakening. The film creschendos dramatically as Nina's deeper desires surface and her transformation into the Black Swan is complete. 

I was riveted by the film and left the cinema dreaming of Swan Lake and the beauty of its tale. The music enchants the film and I wished that I could dance as gracefully and elegantly as the ballerinas. I did not, however, envy the state of their feet, bruised with broken nails and worn down with endurance.

Today has been a typical lazy Sunday and I have relished it. During every other day of the week I feel guilty if I don't go and out and do something worth while (or something that I think is productive in some way!). But on Sundays I feel no guilt about staying on the sofa and moving rarely.

I have read the paper, a little, proved my domestic worth in baking biscuits and making soup, attended to a few PR duties and watched some tv, all from the comfort of a soft, cushioned sofa. Ahhh Bliss.

This evening B and I have watched some more tv and eaten delicious chocolates. I couldn't be more happy............

No comments:

Post a Comment