Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Home to Brighton

Dear Reader,

Today I went home to Brighton. I caught a train just before 12.00 and was at the station by 1.00, my Mum anxiously awaiting my arrival.

But my arrival was somewhat hindered when my ticket wouldn't allow me through the barrier. I showed it to the officer who asked to see my railcard. I foraged around in my handbag, the nearest thing to a bottomless pit in existence, and managed to find the photo card but not the accompanying piece which shows its expiry date. Apologising that I could not find it, I expected some words of reassurance. I was met with silence.

Spying another girl nearby in a similar situation, I thought I should wait. Another man then began talking to me, "I'm afraid I'm going to give you a penalty fair," he said. A penalty fair! I felt horrified, partly because I did have the missing rail card somewhere and partly because my keen sense of right and wrong has always kept me out of trouble. I couldn't help it, I cried.

The man had begun filling out a form which I had to sign. He looked up to invite my signature and saw my streaming tears and runny nose. "Oh," he said, "Why are you crying?" He looked guilty.
"It's only that I've never been in trouble," I weeped.
He reassured me that he had been distributing penalty fairs all morning and that I was making him feel bad. I wanted to crawl into my handbag and let the darkness engulf me. Still distraught I paid the penalty and left.

Then I was able to meet Mum. Still crying, she decided we should go out for lunch.

Lunch at Cafe Nia, just bordering the North Laines, was delicious. I had a beef tagine whilst mum had a homemade burger and ships. Delicious. I felt much better.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing and enjoying being at ease at home and spending time with Mum. We live near Preston Park which is towards the outskirts of Brighton and is very quiet with lots of birds singing in the garden. It is just perfect.

Tomorrow I shall be going back to London. I am doing some freelance PR and am accompanying my client to his first interview tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment