Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Zooming Zimmers and a Touch of Melancholy

Dear Reader,

Oh what a day. I barely know where to begin.

This morning I had an interview with an organisation who supply staff for events. I met them through the charity I was working for before Christmas and last week they invited me in for an interview to work within their office.

Having left the flat later than planned I rushed up the tube, unsure how long it would take me to reach Parsons Green. The interview was at 10.30am and I was feeling pushed for time. Changing at Nottinghill for the district line I actaually managed to arrive by 10.00. Map in hand, I enthusiastically marched (or rather 'tottered') in my heels up the road, feeling confident in my navigational skills. Ten minutes later when I could neither find my location on the map nor any roads near by I began to panic. There was only one thing to do: ask for help. Spying a friendly looking grocer I asked him where Bishop's Road was. He had no idea. Neither did his friend. Visibly anxious and incessantly conscious that time was not on my side I asked a further man who was lurking in the vicinity. This time I struck gold. He knew exactly where to go and gave me very clear directions. It turned out I had gone in the complete opposite direction!

Finally I arrived at the interview early, albeit a little more fresh looking than anticipated. The lady I met with was very nice and went through my CV with me, establishing my skills and what sort of position I would be suitable for. We had a nice chat and I actually really enjoyed the meeting. What a relief.

By now it was steadily approaching lunch time and B and I had agreed to meet at his college. I began sauntering up to the tube, taking my time now that the interview was over, when I saw that two old people were approaching. They were in zimmers. Motorised zimmers. The pavement was quite wide with a wall to one side and the road on the other. Wide enough, I thought, for me to squeeze pass the elderlies no problem. I continued walking ahead, keeping an eye on their oncoming vehicles. They too had obviously seen me and the elderly lady began to overtake her husband, it seemed, so that he could follow her single file and I would have enough room to walk past them both. Still walking ahead, still holding faith, I kept myself close to the wall, allowing the zimmers to manouvre as they needed to. But it was all going wrong. Suddenly, the old lady was to one side of me, the wall on the other and the old man in front. There was no where for me to go and no room to escape. Debating whether the man would swoop behind his wife so that I might pass, I realised that either his reactions were too slow or he just hadn't seen me. Something had to be done. I glanced at the man for a sign of reassurance: instead he accelerated. The zimmer was zooming towards me and I had to get away. Rather than trying to evade his path, I turned and ran back the way I came, zimmer chasing me. I ran to escape. I ran to avoid the old man. I ran so that I might not get run over! A corner appeared and I was able to dive behind an alcove in the wall and make sure I was out of the zooming zimmer's path. Catching my breath I stared at the old man as he sailed down the street, "I wouldn't have hit you, you know," he said. "Yes you would," I thought. 

I was certainly ready for lunch after that impasse and managed to reach B by 12.15. We went to a little cafe near his college and had a panini together and some coffee. He then went back to study and I had a 3-hour meeting with my PR client. It was productive yet exhausting.

I got home and realised that for the past week I haven't been feeling myelf and, if anything, a little sad. It is as if melancholy has seeped in and somehow I can't quite shake it. From feeling happy and confident I am self-doubting and despairing. I have been feeling like this since B and I had our big row. Whereas normally I feel better once we make up, this time I don't feel quite so reassured. Perhaps in this instance time will be the only healer, I just hope it doesn't take too long.

On a lighter note it is my birthday tomorrow. I have left all the plans to B as I have organised a party on Friday evening. I wonder what will be in store for me.............................. 

No comments:

Post a Comment