Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Best Birthday

Dear Reader,

Today was my Birthday! I am now 22 (does that sound terribly old/young?!) and don't feel any different whatsoever since I was about 10. Except the obvious of course..........

B went off to college this morning but I stayed in bed and enjoyed sleeping in. I got up about 9.00am and had a delicious chocolate croissant and coffee whilst taking a cheeky look at Facebook to see if I had any messages yet. I had decided to wait until B was home to open cards and presents.

He was back by lunch by which time I was almost bursting. I had thought that I had learned the art of patience after all this time but a pile of presents had been sitting before me all morning and I felt taunted. They knew I wanted to open them. They remained sitting there temptingly. Of course I eyed them up, had a little shake, you know, the usual investigative process. Luckily B got home before I 'accidentally opened them' without him.

I began with the present from my Dad which turned out to be a Kindle. I don't really know much about Kindles having never really seen one before but I read lots of books and they look very chic. A cool present indeed! Next, I opened the presents from B's family which consisted of a very pretty porcelain jar and matching coffee cup, a pink towel with birds on and some pretty note paper which matched. It was all very cute with a slight antique feel. Very me. My friend had sent me a little cake in a jar which is divine! My Mum sent me some beautiful flowers with a present to follow at the weekend. And B, oh B overstepped the mark, B took me for afternoon tea.

He had booked Fortnum & Mason for 3pm so we left around 2pm. We didn't need to leave so early but I was so excited that I had my coat and shoes on by then so we decided to leave anyway. Plus I was wearing heels which meant walking would be slightly slower.

We arrived just before 3pm in the end and went straight up to the St. Jame's restaurant on the 4th floor. Walking in, I caught my breath. The room was so elegant. The room was a large open space divided in two. To the right sat the restaurant with little white table cloths and chairs. To the left sofas perched between coffee tables and overlooked picadilly. Silk paper lined the walls and a light, turquoise and gold decor embellished the room. The ambiance was refined yet light, chic yet modest and altogether beautifully elegant.

B and I both chose the Classic Afternoon Tea and he also ordered us some Champagne which we started with. Some canapes were presented to us and we happily drank in the bubbles.

Once we had finished the Champgane the tea arrived. That is, a three tiered stand arrived brimming with scones, cakes and sandwiches. The jam and clotted cream arrived on another stand and two tea pots arrived. A waiter appeared with a large silver tray of delightful looking cakes. We were offered to choose two each. I chose a white chocolate mousse and a passion fruit sponge. B chose the chocolate sponge and a violet cake. Yummy!

Starting with the sanwiches, we made our way through chicken & rocket, smoked salmon, cucumber and prawns. We ate the scones next and slowly embarked on the cakes. Then the sandwiches and scones were refilled! We were there for almost three hours grazing on the food. It was heavenly decadent!

Perhaps the best part though was listening to the piano player gently twinkling the keys in the background. He even played Happy Birthday which I think must have been for me.

We considered going to the theatre afterwards but B didn't have his glasses with him and we were both so full that coming home to digest seemed like a good idea. So, that is what we have been doing this evening and it has been rather nice.

I think the best part has been spending the whole day with B without him having to do his work. He still has work to do but he had decided to have a break seeing as it was my birthday. It has been so nice to be with him, having fun with him and enjoying London with him! Suddenly, I don't feel quite so sad anymore. Oh happy day.................

No comments:

Post a Comment